Senior Commercial Officers
- CIPS Membership
- CIPS member
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) plays a vital role for everyone. The wide-ranging work we do includes safeguarding the natural environment, supporting the UK’s world-leading food and farming industries, sustaining a thriving rural economy and leading the engineering of the nation’s defences against natural threats and hazards. Join Defra and you will be contributing to a better environment and way of life for us all.
These roles are part of Defra group Commercial (DgC), which provides commercial expertise to teams and projects across the Department. DgC is going through major transformation to improve the value gained from the service and the commercial capability of staff and customers. Working in line with best practice Commercial Standards set by Government. We are recruiting Category Managers, Systems and Process Specialists and Contract Managers. Reporting to a Commercial Manager, depending on the specific role(s) you apply for you will:
· Maximise value for money as you manage and monitor high value, high risk contracts, end-to-end, in line with our policies and procedures – with delegated authority to sign off commitments of up to £500,000.
· Manage team members to deliver results on time, to the required standards and costs, that fulfil our environmental goals.
· Provide strategic support on promoting commercial policies and procedures, influencing final outcomes and advising on issues and governance.
· Mentor and coach on commercial procedures, and engage with colleagues to build the Commercial network internally and with other Government Bodies.
· Build strong relationships with suppliers and contractors, understanding their issues and providing effective responses as a specialist in business change and efficiency.
· Keep up-to-date with legislation and best practice, and help to develop Defra policy and processes.
This is a challenge that will provide exceptional opportunities to expand your skills and career. Joining at a particularly important time, you will also play an active role in one of Departments leading a successful exit from the EU. It is crucial that you bring an impressive record of influencing operational commercial decisions in complex and demanding environments
As well as championing high standards, you will be an astute decision-maker and natural communicator used to bringing the best out teams. Beyond this, MCIPS or IACCM or a similar qualification would be desirable, as would a relevant degree and Prince2 or APM certification.
Everyone in Defra is supported to develop their skills and capabilities. You will have access to learning and development and support from mentors and coaches, we have a culture of learning from each other. We offer flexible working and wellbeing support alongside a range of other policies and schemes to support your physical and emotional wellbeing. Our comprehensive benefits offer includes generous annual leave, a contributory pension, staff bonuses and recognition, volunteering days, childcare vouchers and other salary sacrifice options, and an employee discount scheme.
Closing Date for applications: 24th February 2019