To identify and recommend to the EU Commercial Manager reliable and cost effective services for their European transport activity through negotiation, benchmark activities and ongoing carrier research.
Michael Page Indirect Procurement are proud to be working with a leading 3PL organisation based in the West Midlands to find a Freight Buyer to join their indirect Procurement team.
- Lowest rate is to be achieved for every route whilst being sustainable and with the carrier meeting operational requirements.
- Ensure that current rates remain in line with market conditions by issuing benchmark RFQs. If cost saving opportunities arise, analyse the impact and recommend to management.
- Expand the carrier base where possible in order to create a more competitive environment to attempt to reduce cost. Perform regular carrier research to identify potential cost and/or service level benefits through the introduction of new carrier's into the portfolio.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with existing carriers.
- Ensure any fuel surcharge cost changes are communicated to management.
- Regularly liaise with EU Operations and carrier manager to get an understanding of Carrier's performance and issues.
- Work closely with EU Freight Bill & Audit to ensure carriers are invoicing correctly and there are no serious issues with payments to them.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and under pressure.
- Must be able to work on UK Bank Holidays
- Previous experience in European Transport / Freight forwarding with a preference for someone involved in rate negotiation.
- Ability to analyse and question complex data. Attention to detail essential.
- Good knowledge of pivot tables, v-look-up, graphs and basic formulas.
- Understand the basics of transport operations and/or planning environment. Ability to identify improvements and cost savings.
- Generates enthusiasm and has a positive attitude to change, overcomes barriers to change, seeks opportunities to improve processes, plans & carries through change
- Thinks and acts across boundaries (e.g. between processes, units, divisions, countries). Respects different cultural values.
This role offers between £30,000 to £35,000 + benefits.