Category Lead, Financial Services
Job Title: Category Lead, Financial Services
Reporting to: Deputy Director, Financial Services
Salary*: £44,219 - £58,188 (Liverpool)
£46,460 - £61,088 (London)
Term: Twelve (12) month fixed term appointment
Location: London or Liverpool (with regular travel to London)
*Please Note: New Entrants to the Civil Service will be expected to join at the entry point of the Band. Civil Servants on promotion will receive either 10% uplift or band minimum – whichever is greater
Join our team of brilliant civil servants on a mission to strengthen the UK economy and deliver savings to the UK taxpayer, through innovative, cutting-edge, efficient and effective public sector procurement.
We are the biggest public procurement organisation in the UK managing for around £12 billion of spend each year we also lead on developing and implementing UK procurement policy.
We use the collective buying power of the entire public sector and our commercial expertise to help our customers save time and money when buying common goods and services.
We love to help our customers find the right commercial solutions. Our customers use our commercial agreements to buy anything from locum doctors to police cars, electricity, IT networks, stationery and TV advertising.
We take care of the bottom line so our customers can deliver front line services.
Last year, we helped our customers to save £5.7 billion. Here are just a few examples:
- A large NHS acute trust saved over £2 million on its medical locums – the equivalent of 38 doctors’ salaries.
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust has saved £78,000 on electricity – the equivalent of three physiotherapists’ salaries.
- 34 local authorities saved £8.8 million on their IT hardware, by working together to increase their buying power.
- A group of London borough councils saved £750,000 on their postal services - the equivalent of running four libraries for a year.
- The Home Office saved £263,000 by auditing the compliance of their facilities management contracts – the equivalent of ten immigration officers’ salaries.
- The Department for Work and Pensions saved over £850,000 by extending their records storage contract – the equivalent of 50 benefits case workers’ salaries.
The Financial Services category is one of the largest and fastest growing categories in the Crown Commercial Service. We currently manage agreements with spend in excess of £2bn per annum, with significant scope to develop further.
We’re looking for a proactive payments industry expert with a strong reputation for innovation, delivery and commercial excellence to be part of our strategic category team that will develop market shaping commercial solutions driven through our next generation commercial vehicles.
The successful candidate will take the lead on developing and embedding the strategy for next generation payment services (card issuing and acquiring) as well as maximising the success of existing solutions.
The post-holder will be responsible for:
- Leading the creation and execution of world class, market-shaping strategies across the financial services category to deliver commercial benefits to both Central Government and the Wider Public Sector;
- Exploiting commercial insight and intelligence to understand the market and supplier landscape whilst engaging the market to inform future strategies;
- Acting as a thought leader by utilising their in-depth market knowledge and subject matter expertise to provide insight and advice to our customers, working with them to define optimal commercial strategies that deliver long-term value and efficiencies;
- Identifying and delivering commercial benefits for Central Government and the wider public sector customer whilst improving Trading Fund income to CCS;
- Developing our category strategy to ensure our solutions remain market leading and fit for purpose; and
- Making a leading contribution to the continuous improvement of the category and CCS as a whole.
- Excellent knowledge and experience of strategic category management (public or private sector) relevant to the card issuing and acquiring sub-categories;
- Outstanding stakeholder management skills, including the ability to engage, influence and positively challenge in complex customer and supplier environments;
- A high degree of market awareness, with demonstrable experience of innovative approaches to procuring services and of managing complex, high value commercial arrangements;
- Commercial insight with the ability to create and deliver category strategy and translate this into commercial opportunities; and
- Ability to identify end-to-end procurement opportunities to optimise the service and supply chain within the category.
- Seeing the Bigger Picture
- Making Effective Decisions
- Collaborating & Partnering
- Leading & Communicating
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes
- Delivering at Pace