Job Title: Category Manager
Band: Band 4
*Salary: £32,794 - £42,410
Reporting to: Category Lead - Travel (B5)
*Please Note: New Entrants to the Civil Service will be expected to join at the entry point of the Band. Civil Servants on promotion will receive either 10% uplift or band minimum – whichever is greater
Join our team of brilliant civil servants on a mission to strengthen the UK economy and deliver savings to the UK taxpayer, through innovative, cutting-edge, efficient and effective public sector procurement.
We are the biggest public procurement organisation in the UK managing for around £12 billion of spend each year we also lead on developing and implementing UK procurement policy.
We use the collective buying power of the entire public sector and our commercial expertise to help our customers save time and money when buying common goods and services.
We love to help our customers find the right commercial solutions. Our customers use our commercial agreements to buy anything from locum doctors to police cars, electricity, IT networks, stationery and TV advertising.
We take care of the bottom line so our customers can deliver front line services.
Last year, we helped our customers to save £5.7 billion. Here are just a few examples:
●A large NHS acute trust saved over £2 million on its medical locums – the equivalent of 38 doctors’ salaries.
●Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust has saved £78,000 on electricity – the equivalent of three physiotherapists’ salaries.
●34 local authorities saved £8.8 million on their IT hardware, by working together to increase their buying power.
●A group of London borough councils saved £750,000 on their postal services - the equivalent of running four libraries for a year.
●The Home Office saved £263,000 by auditing the compliance of their facilities management contracts – the equivalent of ten immigration officers’ salaries.
●The Department for Work and Pensions saved over £850,000 by extending their records storage contract – the equivalent of 50 benefits case workers’ salaries.
This role is a management position within the CCS Corporate Pillar focussing on the managed travel and vehicle hire sectors. The Travel category will manage in excess of £2.5bn of public sector spend over the next 4 years. Experience of category management in travel is not essential.
The Category Manager (CM) will play a critical role in managing the performance of major Travel sector commercial agreements with key suppliers across the public sector, with the objective of securing superior service and value for money. The CM is expected to pro-actively draw on their own experience, demonstrating the ability to think laterally and innovatively to enable delivery of commercial solutions.
The CM will be responsible for the successful delivery of all aspects of contract management within the Travel category, leveraging the discipline to retain and drive improvements in customer savings and service quality, to meet and exceed personal and team targets.
As strategy dictates, there will periodically be a need to procure new commercial arrangements using the public sector regulated procurement processes. The CM will play a leading role in ensuring these are delivered on time and to the required quality.
The post holder may have formal line management of other team members and they are expected to be proactive, flexible and demonstrate a desire for collaborative working. They will work closely and with colleagues in the immediate and wider teams to achieve their targets, and will support and engage with a variety of stakeholders.
- The delivery of effective supplier and commercial performance of allocated commercial arrangement(s) and associated supplier(s), specifically, management of the current WPS travel framework (RM1034).
- Identification and delivery of new Wider Public Sector (WPS) customers with the aim of increasing WPS framework spend by 20% in 2017/18.
- Lead on the transition of current RM1034 customers to the new RM3829 travel procurement.
- Identify opportunities for supplier and framework improvement that deliver customer benefits and savings opportunities.
- Support the Travel category in identifying, managing and mitigating legal, project and procurement risks.
- Spend and Management Information (MI) management and MI reporting, including trend and usage analysis, to internal stakeholders.
- Collection and reporting of WPS travel savings as required by the CCS processes.
- Contribute to the creation of designated category and sub-category strategies and the business as usual processes, procedures and best practices used within the category.
- The development of close and collaborative relationships with colleagues in the Strategic Category and Customer Account Management teams, key customers and wider stakeholders in order ensure the delivery of superior service and value for money.
- The day to day management and development of allocated staff (where applicable)
Essential Criteria – please demonstrate how you meet each of these criteria in Section D of the application form:
· In depth experience of successfully developing, procuring and managing contracts in either the public or private sector with knowledge of the EU procurement regulations
· Ability to communicate complex commercial and contractual concepts clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
· Experience of working with customers and suppliers to understand their requirements whilst engaging in challenging conversations
· Experience of building and managing relationships with suppliers and customers
- Able to manage the delivery of multiple activities in parallel, identifying and resolving potential delivery conflicts in advance
- A solution oriented individual who actively looks for opportunities for improvement.
- Ability to implement strategy and the ability to translate sub-category strategy into practical implementation plans.
Competencies – these are tested at interview stage:
· Collaborating and Partnering
· Building Capacity for All
· Leading and Communicating
· Achieving Commercial Outcomes
· Managing a Quality Service
· Delivering at Pace