Category Manager - People Pillar
Job Title: Category Manager, People Pillar
Reporting to: Category Lead, People Pillar
*Salary: £32,794 - £42,410 Liverpool
£33,428 - £45,450 London
Location: London or Liverpool
*Please Note: New Entrants to the Civil Service will be expected to join at the entry point of the Band. Civil Servants on promotion will receive either 10% uplift or band minimum – whichever is greater
Join our team of brilliant civil servants on a mission to strengthen the UK economy and deliver savings to the UK taxpayer, through innovative, cutting-edge, efficient and effective public sector procurement.
We are the biggest public procurement organisation in the UK managing for around £12 billion of spend each year we also lead on developing and implementing UK procurement policy.
We use the collective buying power of the entire public sector and our commercial expertise to help our customers save time and money when buying common goods and services.
We love to help our customers find the right commercial solutions. Our customers use our commercial agreements to buy anything from locum doctors to police cars, electricity, IT networks, stationery and TV advertising.
We take care of the bottom line so our customers can deliver front line services.
Last year, we helped our customers to save £5.7 billion. Here are just a few examples:
- A large NHS acute trust saved over £2 million on its medical locums – the equivalent of 38 doctors’ salaries.
- Royal United Hospital Bath NHS Trust has saved £78,000 on electricity – the equivalent of three physiotherapists’ salaries.
- 34 local authorities saved £8.8 million on their IT hardware, by working together to increase their buying power.
- A group of London borough councils saved £750,000 on their postal services - the equivalent of running four libraries for a year.
- The Home Office saved £263,000 by auditing the compliance of their facilities management contracts – the equivalent of ten immigration officers’ salaries.
- The Department for Work and Pensions saved over £850,000 by extending their records storage contract – the equivalent of 50 benefits case workers’ salaries.
This role focuses on the People Pillar which manages in excess of £1.8bn public sector spend per annum. The People Pillar is one of four category teams that deliver and manage the resulting procurement vehicles – the other three being Corporate, Buildings and Technology. The People Pillar manages service contracts covering the provision of services such as Consultancy, Legal, provision of temporary labour, Occupational Health and Learning and Development.
The Category Manager (CM) will play a critical role in managing the performance of major commercial agreements with key suppliers across the public sector, with the objective of securing superior service and value for money.
The CM will be responsible for the successful delivery of contract management within the pillar, leveraging the discipline to retain and drive improvements in customer savings and service quality, to meet and exceed personal and team targets.
As strategy dictates, there will periodically be a need to procure new commercial arrangements using the public sector regulated procurement processes. The CS will play an important role in ensuring these are delivered on time and to the required quality.
The post holder will work closely and collaboratively with colleagues in the immediate and wider teams to achieve their targets, and will support and engage with a variety of stakeholders.
The post-holder will be responsible for:
- Own and drive Contract Management, Customer Relationship Management and Supplier Relationship Management to drive performance across supply chain including identification and delivery of savings initiatives and innovation opportunities
- Liaise with stakeholders and customers at a variety of levels to present/promote the category products via working groups, customer meetings, exhibitions and events
- Present at Trade Associations and other industry forums to network amongst peers and represent CCS as market shaping.
- Ownership of customer relationships to deliver efficiencies through their specialist category frameworks/Commercial Contracts and specific initiatives
- Identifying key stakeholders at departmental/organisational level, establishing and building communication and engagement plans driving effective customer forums
- Utilise personal commercial intelligence and insights to understand the supplier landscape and engage the market to inform and improve the buying process
- Oversee the design, construction and execution of best in market contractual documentation
- An experienced contract manager with a track record of delivering excellent customer satisfaction and value for money.
- Technical proficiency within any category area; sufficient to act as an intelligent customer in dealings with suppliers and sufficient to engage in meaningful, challenging conversations with stakeholders.
· Good knowledge of public procurement regulations.
· A high degree of market awareness, with demonstrable experience of innovative approaches to procuring services.
- Ability to influence stakeholders. An excellent communicator, with consultative selling skills and the gravitas to build credible peer relationships with decision makers within both customer and supplier environments.
- Solution orientation – looks for opportunities and finds new ways of overcoming problems.
- Leading and Communicating:
- Delivering Value for Money:
- Managing a Quality Service:
- Achieving Commercial Outcomes:
- Seeing the Big Picture