We have a long heritage in the rail industry based on decades of experience, but have continued to embrace innovation in both products and business techniques to ensure that we remain the first and best choice for our customers.
We currently have an opportunity for a Category Manager to work within our Procurement team based in Doncaster.
Working as a Category Manager, you will be responsible for a portfolio of categories, interfacing with our incumbent suppliers, developing category plans, monitor, review and challenge costs and contributing overall the procurement function to ensure the division meets key objectives in line with the procurement strategy.
Main Purpose of the Job
- To manage the sourcing process through Category Management to satisfy business needs whilstmaximising the value delivered from the supply base.
- Using a cross-functional business process performed with internal customers (users of the category) and other constituents within the business (who influence the category’s specification, performance and quality).
- To support the procurement function in the delivery of agreed objectives in line with the procurement strategy, providing commercial procurement category management for the company’s expenditure with external suppliers.
- Determine the category strategy and a rolling programme of areas to be addressed within the procurement category.
- Establish and lead cross-functional teams to manage the development and implementation of the procurement category strategy with the Head of Purchasing, Procurement Director and internal stakeholders.
- Mentor and develop direct reportees where required and to ensure objectives are achieved.
- Deliver the procurement category strategy including sourcing activities, which generate benefits and achieve financial saving targets through insight and analysis of categories/sub-categories
- Develop, seek approval of, implement and systematically review a supplier development plan for own portfolio of product categories to deliver agreed business objectives.
- Develop and maintain inter functional interfaces to ensure internal and external customer and business requirements are properly identified and ensure that appropriate solutions are achieved through supplier management and relationship management.
- Monitor, review and challenge cost of sales to improve value for money for the business.
- Utilise Unipart’s TTZ Programme to improve business competitiveness and customer service,acting as Supplier Champion for suppliers in own portfolio on the programme.
- Identify and comment on achievements and on variations (to plans, partnership programme,etc.) as they arise to ensure the business can direct appropriate corrective action.
- Expand on product and market knowledge relating to portfolio of suppliers and categories responsible and become the recognised procurement expert in these.
- Use best practice procurement and Unipart Way tools and techniques to develop and implement the sourcing strategies
- Negotiate contractual agreements with suppliers to ensure the service, quality, total cost,security of supply and the deployment of the supplier’s capabilities in innovation are secured.
- Assist with the development of new processes, procedures and solutions for the business requirements.
- 5+ years relevant supply chain experience, with a good knowledge of products and suppliers.
- Introduction and implementation of procurement and supply chain strategies.
- Supply chain planning and forecasting experience.
- Tendering/Bid experience.
- Ability to derive Total Acquisition Cost, Total Cost of Ownership and end to end supply chain and customer impacts.
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing, MRP/ERP/SCM/JIT/Kanban philosophies, practices and techniques
- Experience of developing and leading medium to large projects.
- Stakeholder management experience – internally, externally and at all levels of business
- Membership of the CIPS (or willingness to studying for same).
- Experience in managing Suppliers and Customers.
- Commercial acumen.
- Excellent communication and inter-personal skills.
- Excellent negotiation and influencing skills.
- Turning plans into deliverables.
- Decisive and determined approach to achievement of goals.
- Good attention to detail.
- Ability to engage and lead multi-function teams effectively.
- Flexible and willing, desire to exceed targets set.
- Constructively challenges existing practices, simplifying processes and driving out inefficiencies.
- Flexibility to travel as necessary.
- Good understanding of Traction & Rolling Stock aftermarket and Unipart’s role.
- Sound Engineering and/or Manufacturing knowledge and experience.
- Bill of Material (BOM) collation and management.
- Experience of leading a team.
- SAP experience
This is an excellent opportunity to join a leading business with a global reputation as the rail industry supply chain partner of choice.
With a strong employee engagement culture you can look forward to receiving a competitive salary, flexible benefits, support, and opportunities for career progression and development.
To take advantage of this opportunity please apply with your CV and covering letter below.