Procurement Process Manager
Are you a leader with a strong background inprocurement and process improvement within a regulated environment?
Do you want add value to a pivotal government operational procurement team, allowing you to further your career development in dealing with complex rail franchising procurement and process models?
If so we’d love to hear from you - we’re currently looking for a Procurement Process Manager to join our Rail Passenger Services Procurement Excellence team.
The rail franchising procurement process is a complex process that must be compliant with all appropriate procurement regulations and is subject to a high level of assurance. Each competition is worth hundreds of millions of pounds (in some cases in excess of £billion) in premium payments to HM Treasury / Great Britain PLC. The competitions are time constrained, subject to a high level of scrutiny and challenge and their success is heavily dependent on the delivery of a robust procurement process.
It is therefore essential that the processes deployed by the Department to deliver these procurements are designed to fully meet the requirements placed upon them.
As Procurement Process Manager, you will
- own the franchising process model and lead operation of a software assisted approach to documenting, maintaining, communicating, deploying and improving the core franchise specification, procurement and contract management processes, together with key supporting processes (e,g. P2P, recruitment, etc.); and
- take overall responsibility for developing and maintaining the Franchise Procurement Process, ensuring lessons learned are implemented and that the overall process is fit for purpose for each franchise competition
- Lead and champion the extension of the operation of the process management tool (ARIS) across Passenger Services and achieve successful ‘take-up’ across the directorate.
- Provide the process know how and leadership required for Business Unit process owners to create inter-Business Unit processes, establishing the arrangements needed for them to be totally customer focused and to eradicate “silo working”.
- Establish and lead a centre of excellence team to coach and facilitate business unit teams in the application of best practice process analysis and improvement, including Lean.
- Own and manage the process systems architecture and databases and manage online portal configuration on behalf of Passenger Services and Rail Group.
- Ensure that process content is effectively published and is easily accessible by Passenger Services and its process partners.
- Lead Passenger Service’s involvement in the roll-out of a similar approach to process management across the whole of Rail
- Play a key role in change initiatives that take place within Passenger Services to ensure process integrity is maintained/improved when changes are made to organisational structure.
- Identify, develop and deliver a range of process improvements, from short-term ‘quick wins’ to longer term process development.
As the ideal candidate you will have significant experience of working within an operational procurement function within a regulated environment. You will be a hands on leader who can demonstrate experience of developing process capability and the implementation of process change and improvement methodologies. A sound knowledge of LEAN would be advantageous for this role, however not essential.
Rail Group is a single, integrated body established by the Department for Transport to take UK’s railway into the future, and to put passengers at the heart of the journey. With billions of pounds of government funding behind us and strong leadership in place, we have an unprecedented opportunity to drive things forward. Passenger Services is responsible for covering the whole of the franchise life-cycle from procurement through to day to day management and has committed to putting passengers at the heart of what it does.
You should use the Civil Service Competency Framework and specialist framework, referring to the relevant competency definitions for the grade advertised. The Indicators listed on the attached document have been identified as most appropriate for the advertised position.
Please note candidates at sift stage will be marked on ALL essential professional qualifications, skills and experience as outlined in the attached job description.
If invited to interview, candidates should be prepared to be tested on any or all competencies outlined in the attached job description. The interview may consist of a range of question types, these could include questions about your strengths or how you would respond in any particular situation as well as specific examples of things you have done.