We are National Grid, and we are at the heart of energy. From heating homes to making sure businesses fire on all cylinders, we’re using our engineering excellence to connect people and the planet. We’re also looking to the future – innovating, inventing, and transforming – to make possible the energy systems of tomorrow. And that’s why there’s never been a more exciting time to join us and help us to make a difference to people’s lives every day.
About the role
As a Buyer you will be responsible for strategic procurement operations within the aligned business area. The role will assist the Category Manager and potentially a Senior Buyer in delivery of Category strategies. This will involve engaging and building strong working relationships with stakeholders to identify business needs and then ensuring we understand the supply chains so we can offer the best solutions for National Grid.
You’ll also get to know your stakeholders: what they need and the supply chains they need to tap into. This range of tasks means you could be setting sourcing strategy or delivering strategic sourcing projects one day and awarding contracts the next. You therefore need to be organised, motivated and ready to become an expert in our systems and processes. Skilled and ready to learn, you’ll thrive on running more complex, multi-million events and influencing stakeholders and colleagues alike.
- A degree (or equivalent) is an advantage, but not essential.
- Solid experience in strategic sourcing and category management is essential.
- You should be adept at managing a portfolio of suppliers; developing contracts; and building complex commercial assessment models.
- Be analytic with excellent presentation skills and have the principals of project management.
- Strong communication skills coupled with the ability to work with people across the organisation.
- Articulate with good commercial acumen, you can lead negotiations, work with multi-disciplinary teams and build strong relationships.
- Ideally, you’ll be working towards MCIPS qualification (if you don’t have this already).
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.