We are National Grid, and we are at the heart of energy. From heating homes to making sure businesses fire on all cylinders, we’re using our engineering excellence to connect people and the planet. We’re also looking to the future – innovating, inventing, and transforming – to make possible the energy systems of tomorrow. And that’s why there’s never been a more exciting time to join us and help us to make a difference to people’s lives every day. About the role
As a Senior Buyer, you’ll tackle our largest and most complex buying challenges. You’ll be in charge of daily strategic procurement events in your area and a portfolio of up to £100m. You’ll own your own Category, deliver category strategies and be responsible for spotting new commercial opportunities. To succeed, you’ll need to understand the business and what your stakeholders need. That means working closely with them and studying the supply chain, so we can offer the best solutions. Much will depend on your ability to connect and influence. But with your drive, expertise and communication skills you’ll have what it takes to win credibility, trust and respect;
- Deliver multiple strategic sourcing events within portfolio, working with stakeholders to understand and challenge demand and ensure the best possible solutions for National Grid.
- Input into the development and execution of sourcing strategy for allocated category and execute standardised strategic sourcing processes from market engagement through to award, ensuring goods / services are procured in a best-in-class manner that drives value.
- Work with Contract Managers to ensure the successful delivery of contracted activities, identifying continuous improvement opportunities through engagement with suppliers and stakeholders, and maximizing value for money from contracts awarded.
- Support the overall development and delivery of assigned category strategy and share best practice across other category teams (as appropriate).
- Role model excellence in procurement standards, taking a proactive role in mentoring / providing guidance to Buyers and Associate Buyers to ensure best-in-class methodologies are adopted and utilized across National Grid Procurement.
- Profile category characteristics and research supply markets, suppliers and assess trends, opportunities and risks feeding insights into the Global teams and Market and Supplier Development teams (as appropriate)
- Delivering value by effectively managing tender events for key products required by the business.
- Contribute to an effective forward planning process by identifying future requirements of supported areas and ensure robust forecasting is put in place that maximises value of goods / services procured.
- Scope and develops regional contractual agreements that meet the customer stakeholder requirements and expectations.
Educated to degree-standard, you’ll have significant experience in strategic sourcing and category management. You’ve led a highly complex or valuable procurement event from start to finish; developed high value category-specific strategies; and led negotiations at a senior level. Furthermore, you’ve handled multiple projects and a portfolio of suppliers. In short, you’re a skilled professional in your field, with exceptional commercial acumen.
Ideally MCIPS-qualified (or working towards this), you can use analytical tools, build strong working relationships and present persuasively. Now you’re ready to use these talents – plus innovative thinking and your drive for results – to bring business value and new commercial solutions;
Who we are
At National Grid, we don’t just ask our people to deliver to the highest standards. We also support them to be the best they can be. Accredited training programmes and personal development courses are a part of life here. We value and encourage diversity of thought, whatever your background. By creating an inclusive, switched-on workforce, we drive performance and deliver excellence. Which is exactly what we need to achieve our vision of creating sustainable energy solutions, for today and tomorrow.