Category Manager (Technology)
Do you have experience in managing and developing relationships?
Are you a strategic thinker and seeking a role where you can be challenged regularly?
Network Rail owns, operates and develops Britain’s railway – the 20,000 miles of track, 40,000 bridges, tunnels and viaducts and the thousands of signals, level crossings and stations. The 18 largest stations are run by the company itself, while all the others, over 2,500, are run by one of the country’s train operating companies.
Network Rail’s role is to deliver a safe and reliable railway every day for the 4.5m people and businesses who rely on it. The company carefully manages and delivers thousands of projects every year that form part of the £multi-billion Railway Upgrade Plan, to grow and expand the nation’s railway network to respond to the tremendous growth and demand the railway has experienced – a doubling of passenger journeys over the past 20 years.
Network Rail runs the day-to-day railway through nine devolved, geographically based businesses, called Route Businesses. The Route Businesses rely on a diverse supply chain network to deliver ‘A Better Railway for a Better Britain’. C&P provide essential services and prides itself in putting the customer at the heart of everything it does. We work with our customers and supply chain to deliver continuous improvement in performance through applied category management to ensure that our stakeholders have what they need when they need it.
- The C&P Technology team is pivotal to the selection & management of a robust supply chain and the acquisition of goods and services covering information technology, operational technology and telecoms.
- From legacy applications to cloud strategies & the digital infrastructure revolution you will find the C&P Technology team working as a business partner to identify or support development of technologies to deliver performance improvement. As artificial intelligence and the application of Blockchain burst onto the scene and technology vendors respond with new solutions there couldn’t be a more exciting time to join the C&P Technology team.
- A key member of our team you will be required to apply specialist knowledge within a particular category group and seek out and secure contract and supplier arrangements.
- Ideally, you will have worked in a commercial technology environment and possess skills that give you the edge when delivering technology.
- If you believe in a technology enabled future and want to play a part in a digital technology transformation and, if you believe you have what it takes and would like the chance to join our dynamic team then we would love to hear from you.
If you would like the opportunity to hear more about the Technology Team, the Head of the Commercial Technology team will be holding a career evening on Wednesday 31st January 2018. There will be a presentation & discussion on Contracts & Procurement within Technology including a Q&A session and the opportunity to network with the team. For more information, please refer to IRC2098902 and apply if interested in attending!
- Work with internal and external partners to understand future business strategies and maintain an up-to-date supply and demand plan.
- Collect, review, analyse and maintain all category-related and supplier performance data for particular categories, to feed in to creative category strategies.
- Develop expertise in specific aspects of category groups, and build and maintain the relevant strategies covering all of Network Rail’s requirements.
- Responsible for the day-to-day management of supplier relationships for relevant specialist area.
- To support the delivery of supplier innovation and other new requirements for relevant categories.
- Provide day-to-day governance of spend in the relevant category areas.
- Act as a day-to-day point of contact for the C&P community on all queries.
- Develop commercial strategies to better incentivise reliable supplier performance and drive supplier performance development programmes and sourcing activity effectiveness.
Job skills, experience and qualifications:
- Strategic outlook, including the ability to fully analyse options and deliver recommendations.
- Understanding and application of standard methodology within relevant markets.
- Proven experience of handling 3rd party supplier relationships as well as relationships with key internal partners.
- Excellent numerical, report writing and presentational skills.
- Educated to degree level or equivalent professional education, or experience.
- Confirmed commercial track record in capital intensive, asset rich industries
- Active participation in relevant industry bodies
- Subject matter expertise for the given supply market
Network Rail can offer you a rewarding career with competitive pay and excellent benefits including a choice of contributory pension schemes, a generous annual leave package, a bonus scheme and an annual 75% subsidy on season tickets costing up to £3000 (to a maximum amount of £2,250). Network Rail positively embraces flexible working recognising that employees may wish to balance work and family/home life.
It is a requirement of the role to live within 90 minutes commuting time of The Quadrant Milton Keynes.
To apply, please click on the apply button to visit our website.
Closing date: 29 January 2018.
Network Rail welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, membership or non-membership of trade union, social class or any other irrelevant factor. We are committed to interviewing all applicants who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria advertised. We are two ticks accredited and we continue to strive to create a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve.