Buyer required for Port Talbot based FMCG manufacturer
The Buyer will manage and establish contracts for overhead and raw material items as required to support the Procurement team, ensuring that value, quantity, quality and service levels are achieved. You will also be responsible for checking of supplier terms and conditions.
Key responsibilities include:
- Select appropriate suppliers for supply of goods or services using a suitable selection and approval process, in conjunction with sites where appropriate.
- Provide support on capital expenditure projects, ensuring that terms and conditions agreed protect the company and do not compromise either the project deliverables or ongoing service in any way.
- Monitor and report upon all key markets of purchasing related activity within area of responsibility.
- Develop contracts with suppliers where appropriate for supply of goods to include pricing, delivery, quality/ acceptance criteria, payment, reporting, continuous improvement, and working within company guidelines for Corporate Social Responsibility.
- Manage resolution with suppliers for purchased goods not meeting specification or issues that cannot be resolved at site level.
- Review of Purchasing Terms and Conditions and regular review, and update where necessary, thereafter.
- Deputisation for Procurement Managers to cover absences.
- Ensure the Procurement Admin Team have accurate information on suppliers and products, to enable the company ERP system to be updated accordingly.
- Liaise with Accounts Payable Department, where appropriate, to ensure accurate and timely payment of invoices, as necessary for the business with the supplier.
- Ensure competent quality execution of all regular purchasing duties and administrative works.
- Establish supplier monitoring processes and report on supplier capability and performance, agreeing action plans with under-performing suppliers.
- Source new items, suppliers or sub-contractors when the need arises and in conjunction with other departments within the business, such as Innovations, Engineering etc.
- Set up and report on performance against the agreed metrics for purchasing.
- Implement actions to close gaps where key performance measures are below target
- Assist in any part of the business as and when required, within the scope of existing experience, knowledge and competence.
You will have/be:
- Excellent organisational skills with the ability to prioritise a busy workload, meet deadlines and work calmly under pressure
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, with excellent written, verbal and presentation skills
- Good literacy, numeracy and high degree of computer literacy.
- Need to understand the principles behind material and capacity planning.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- An understanding of best practice procurement practice
- Ability to contribute to and coordinate ad-hoc projects
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexible - able to change direction appropriately to meet job demands, and to accommodate working at other sites when required
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.