Senior Category Manager - Overland, Air & Sea
Senior Category Manager - Overland, Air & Sea Logistics
£70,000 - £80,000 per annum, negotiable, plus benefits which include - 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, life assurance (3x salary) and private health insurance (single or couple cover). You will also have the opportunity to join the contributory Kuehne+Nagel pension plan.
Kuehne + Nagel are globally recognised as one of the world’s leading logistics companies with an envious market position in the Overland, air freight, sea freight, and contract logistics businesses. At the heart of Kuehne+Nagel’s vision to create sustainable competitive advantage is a renewed focus on Best Practice Procurement, working collaboratively with all business units and across all spend areas to enable improved customer service and retention at the same time as delivering increased shareholder value. This role affords the successful candidate a great opportunity to be part of a dynamic function whose importance within the business is growing and to join a highly motivated and energetic team where there is a strong emphasis on personal development. With category management responsibility for an annual spend in excess of £400m per annum, it also represents the chance to play a significant part in the ongoing success and growth of Kuehne + Nagel in the UK. As such it has potential for significant expansion, exposure and recognition at board level and ultimately for career progression / leadership succession.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Fulfil the role of Subject Matter Expert within Kuehne+Nagel UK by demonstrating and continuing to develop detailed understanding of the category and the industry sector(s) and markets upon which it is focused. Also, where appropriate, to collaborate with colleagues in other countries/regions to provide coherent strategy and messaging
- Act as Category Manager for the Overland, Air, and Sea Logistics categories and advise senior stakeholders on optimum strategies for the delivery of best value solutions. Ensure adherence to established ‘Best Practice’ procurement and reporting standards
- Bring together, coalesce and work with cross-functional teams to implement solutions that meet the business needs at optimum whole life cost and in a manner that is consistent with excellent service to customers
- Line management of up to 4 sub-category specialists, defining and agreeing robust objectives and setting clear direction to ensure that category strategy is implemented and executed effectively and consistently
- Role modelling, mentoring and leadership within the Procurement function, offering support to others as required and contributing to the development of team capability as well as the professional development of individuals
- Ownership and management of strategically important supplier relationships within the category area
- Responsibility for monitoring and management of supplier performance in line with appropriate KPIs & SLAs
Identification of opportunities to aggregate spend, take advantage of synergies and consolidate where appropriate
Your skills and experience
- A track record in Overland, Air and Sea Logistics Category Management within a Procurement team environment (essential). Line management experience including objective setting and performance management, and demonstrating a flair for skills gap analysis and capability development
- The ability to deliver results as part of a professional indirect procurement function
- Advanced negotiation skills and effective application of these skills to deliver improved contractual outcomes
- The ability to manage upwards, communicate effectively and influence decision makers at all levels within the business coupled with an ability to understand (and where appropriate challenge!) user requirements
- Experience of drafting, interpreting and agreeing contracts & legal agreements
- An analytical, logical and numerate approach and an ability to interpret, manipulate and critically analyse data to produce concise and meaningful insights
- The ability to build and proactively manage relationships with key suppliers in the best interests of Kuehne+Nagel
- Preferably MCIPS qualified
Good reasons to join
In order to achieve our objectives, Kuehne+Nagel are investing in improved capability, recruiting new talent to increase capacity and complement the skillset of the existing team, honing and professionalising the procurement operating model, and upskilling/offering training opportunities and qualifications within the function. As a senior position within a growing team, this role will provide an excellent springboard for an individual who, as well as subject matter expertise and experience of people management, is able to demonstrate ambition and an appetite for ongoing professional development. We are offering a competitive salary with an attractive bonus, 25 days holiday plus bank holidays, life assurance (3x salary) and private health insurance (single or couple cover). You will also have the opportunity to join the contributory Kuehne+Nagel pension plan.
Vacancy Number: GB09069
Please contact:- Catherine Lloyd - Sr. Resourcing Manager at email@example.com or 07971 246288.