Category Buyer - Operations and Packaging
- CIPS Membership
- CIPS member
Kuehne + Nagel are globally recognised as one of the world’s leading logistics companies with an envious market position in the overland, air freight, sea freight, and contract logistics businesses. At the heart of Kuehne+Nagel’s vision to create sustainable competitive advantage is a renewed focus on Best Practice Procurement, working collaboratively with all business units and across all spend areas to enable improved customer service and retention at the same time as delivering increased shareholder value.
This role affords the successful candidate a great opportunity to be part of a dynamic function, and to join a highly motivated team where there is a strong emphasis on personal development. With category management responsibility for a broad range of goods and services, the jobholder will have the opportunity to develop relationships with operational stakeholders and suppliers that generate real engagement, inspire innovation and deliver significant synergies and savings for both Kuehne + Nagel and its customers.
Your tasks and responsibilities
- Fulfil the role of Subject Matter Expert within Kuehne+Nagel UK by demonstrating and continuing to develop detailed understanding of the category and the industry sector(s) and markets upon which it is focused. Also, where appropriate, collaborate with colleagues in other countries/regions to leverage global capability and volumes
- Act as Category Manager for the Operations & Packaging categories and advise stakeholders on optimum strategies for the delivery of best value solutions. Develop and implement the category strategy and ensure adherence to established ‘Best Practice’ procurement and reporting standards
- Bring together, coalesce and work with cross-functional teams to implement solutions that meet business needs at optimum whole life cost and in a manner that is consistent with excellent service to customers
- As a strong team player, contribute to the development of collective capability at the same time as taking advantage of opportunities for your own professional development, including the achievement of professional accreditation status
- Own and manage strategically important and operationally critical supplier relationships within the category area. Responsibility for monitoring and management of supplier performance in line with appropriate KPIs & SLAs
- Identify opportunities to aggregate spend, take advantage of synergies and consolidate where appropriate
Your skills and experience
- Experience of Category Management within a Procurement team environment (essential)
- The ability to deliver results as part of a professional indirect procurement function
- Negotiation skills and experience with evidence of effective application to deliver improved contractual outcomes
- The capability to communicate effectively, influence decision makers and understand when and how to escalate to achieve results without detriment to stakeholder relationships
- Able to establish and proactively manage collaborative relationships with key suppliers in the best interests of Kuehne + Nagel
- An ability to understand and interpret (and where appropriate challenge!) user requirements
- Experience of drafting, interpreting and implementing contracts & legal agreements
- An analytical, logical and numerate approach with an ability to interpret, manipulate and critically analyse data to produce concise and meaningful insights
- If not already MCIPS qualified, a desire to progress towards and achieve this qualification
Good reasons to join
In order to achieve our objectives, Kuehne+Nagel are investing in improved capability, honing and professionalising the procurement operating model and recruiting new talent to increase capacity and complement the skillset of the existing team. This role will suit an individual who is able to demonstrate ambition and who has an appetite for ongoing professional development. We are offering a competitive salary with an attractive bonus, 23 days holiday plus bank holidays (rising to 24 days and 25 days after 4 and 5 years’ service respectively), life assurance (3 x salary) and private medical insurance. You will also have the opportunity to join the contributory Kuehne+Nagel pension plan.
Any questions? Contact us directly at:
Why not find out more about Kuehne + Nagel, visit us at www.kuehne-nagel.com
Vacancy Number: GB09401
With more than 79,000 employees at 1,300 locations in over 100 countries, the Kuehne + Nagel Group is one of the world's leading logistics companies. Its strong market position lies in the seafreight, airfreight, contract logistics and overland businesses, with a clear focus on providing IT-based supply chain management.
Learn more >>
Apply for Category Buyer - Operations and Packaging
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly