At Turner & Townsend we’re passionate about making the difference. That means delivering better outcomes for our clients, helping our people to realise their potential, and doing our part to create a prosperous society. We employ over 5000 people in over 100 offices across the globe, offering independent advice, safeguarding the commercial interests of clients embarking on investment programmes across real estate, infrastructure and natural resources.
Within our southwest region our infrastructure team has strong positions in Highways, Utilities, Rail and Defence. Our people have the opportunity to move between sectors, building their experience across a broad range of major projects and programmes.
We are currently seeking applications from Commercial Managers interested in working in the Defence Sector. Among a growing presence in the defence sector, Turner & Townsend is uniquely positioned as a Tier 1 supplier to Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) as a Programme Delivery Partner and Commercial Delivery Partner across their ~£14bn annual programme of expenditure to deliver critical UK assets.
As one of Turner & Townsend’s Commercial Managers your role could include Contract Administration, Sourcing, Sales, Contract Management Disposals and Corporate activities.
We are seeking people to join our organisation who have a positive outlook, are seeking development opportunities and have a strong foundation of technical understanding in their core area of activity.
- Leading and assisting with development of contract sourcing and commercial strategies that reflect the needs of the business
- Leading and assisting pre-sourcing market analysis
- Leading and assisting with development of business cases for approval
- Leading and assisting with preparation of bidders pack for competitive purchasing and procurements, and with issue and evaluation of tenders
- Monitoring supplier performance against KPI’s, to deliver successful outcomes (times, cost, performance)
- Undertake pricing reviews and evaluation of contractor bids and submissions
- Conducting peer contract assurance prior to internal DE&S and MOD approvals, ensuring the correct commercial policy has been implemented and assessing the commercial decisions made and the level of risk to the Department in progressing to contract award
- Carrying out Contract Management and overseeing the creation of Commercial flies and audit trails by the Commercial Assistants
- Development of the Assistant Commercial Officers through on the job training, skills gap analysis and informing demand priorities for the projects forward plans
This role involves responsibility for supervising people, including leading a team on a day-to-day basis, allocation of routine duties, checking of work and involvement in the staff appraisal process. The role also requires regular direct contract negotiation and engagement with suppliers.
- Experience of either Contract Management or Contract Placement (Sourcing)
- Ideally minimum of 3 years commercial experience
- A strong commercial and business acumen
- Strong people and management skills
- Ability to quickly pick up new tasks and use own initiative
- Good communication skills both written and oral
- Single source/direct award procurements
- UK Public Contracts Regulations 2015
- A degree in Project Management, Commercial Management, Business Law or similar
- Hold CIPS Level 4 Foundation Diploma with the desire to continue working towards Level 5