Head of Commercial Services
Can you lead a team of commercial professionals to develop and deliver a commercial strategy, plans and outcomes whilst building strong, enduring professional relationships with customers, suppliers and stakeholders? If so, then please read on.
Our client, NHS Business Services Authority (NHSBSA) is a Special Health Authority and an Arm's Length Body of the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC), providing a range of critical central services to NHS organisations, NHS contractors, patients and the public.
As Head of Commercial Services working in collaboration with the Executive Director of Finance & Commercial Services and senior colleagues from across the NHSBSA, client and supplier organisations, you will be responsible for:
- Leading a team of commercial professionals to develop and deliver the commercial strategy, plans and outcomes.
- Working collaboratively to form professional relationships across the organisation, with internal and external customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders at all levels up to Board Director and CEO.
- Actively promote customer-led thinking so that effective procurement and contract/supplier management strategies are created delivering value for NHSBSA and the wider NHS.
- Working closely with the Leadership Team, you will contribute to the development and delivery of the organisational vision and strategy in relation to procurement and contract/supplier management and more widely at an overall commercial level.
- The creation and maintenance of procurement and contract management policies, procedures and reporting with accountability to enable delivery and development of NHSBSA Business.
In order to deliver commercial change across complex supplier markets to better serve the needs of the organisation and wider NHS, the Head of Commercial Services must have/be:
- a competent leader, able to design and deliver effective relationships with 3rd party suppliers to a business that is transforming through its use of technology, digital and data. This will require collaboration, influencing and negotiation skills as well as creative thinking to deliver value through our client’s activities.
- Delivery will often be required in challenging circumstances involving ambiguity and intense activity, with a need to maintain high levels of mental effort for sustained periods, driven by delivering best value and outcomes for our client, the wider NHS and the tax payer where spend in scope, potential costs and potential benefits are often several £hundred million.
- Knowledge of relevant provider markets and demonstrable expertise in high value complex strategic sourcing.
- Proven risk management capability and strong knowledge of tools and techniques used to achieve robust corporate governance and quality management
- Management of strategic supplier contracts and relationships
- Experience of leading a Commercial services function and experience of a range of commercial delivery models.
- Proven £multi-million negotiation experience in the Private or Public sectors.
The Head of Commercial Services will have:
- Proven track record of achievement in delivering major strategic sourcing and procurement projects on spec, within budget, and on time.
- Expert knowledge of procurement strategy and relevant legislation.
- Detailed understanding of the public sector governance requirements in respect of procurement and contract management.
- Understanding of the wider commercial environment and relevant market knowledge of providers of high value complex strategic sourcing.
- Understanding of the key drivers of performance of contractors and business including providing commercial advice on business development opportunities.
- Understanding how commercial plans and strategy can influence the future health landscape, and the role that the wider Government Commercial function can play in this.
- Able to develop an agile and sustainable operation.
- An engaging leader who inspires through providing meaningful direction and advice
- Able to empower their team to focus on mitigating risk and securing optimal outcomes.
- Collaborative and insightful delivery through working with and through partners
- Champions the strategic importance of people, talent management, development and wellbeing through setting and maintaining direction, clear requirements and performance standards, building a culture of continuous learning and improvement
- Able to understand the big picture whilst handling detail through focusing on risk and optimising outcomes for NHSBSA, the NHS and taxpayer.
- Creative and dynamic, strong on lateral thinking, bringing fresh ideas and proposing new but risk evaluated solutions
- Excellent communications skills, written and oral, articulate and robust in presenting ideas.
- Strong influencing and negotiating skills, a good builder of productive relationships and partnerships through collaborative approach
- Strong strategic, analytical, investigative and problem solving skills
- An ability to manage conflicting pressures and priorities
- Commercially astute and able to develop appropriate commercial and contractual solutions
- Ability to deliver change and improvement through strategic influence
- Extensive prior relevant experience
- Experience of managing major strategic sourcing programmes to include service outsourcing with high complexity make/buy decisions
- Managing contractors, professional and administrative staff and resources to achieve objectives.
- Experience of developing and implementing procurement strategy on major programmes and managing major high value contracts which require rigorous specification setting, robust market-facing processes, £multi-million negotiations, high profile implementation plans and complex performance management regimes.
- CIPS Qualified, or equivalent, with additional business qualification (e.g. MBA)
To register your interest in this Head of Commercial Services role or any other opportunities please forward your full CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating your location and current salary details or contact us on 01423 520080 for a confidential conversation.
Closing date for applications is Sunday 21st April (00:00)
GPA Procurement (UK) Limited (GPA) acts as an employment business and an employment agency. GPA is committed to equal opportunity and diversity.