Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study right in the heart of the city and we currently have an exciting opportunity for a Category Manager to join our busy Procurement team. The role will suit an experienced procurement professional wishing to advance their career while looking after the Professional Services category.
Reporting to the Head of University Procurement, the main purpose of this job is to undertake procurement exercises on behalf of the University including EU tenders, focusing primarily on Professional Services; managing contracts and ensuring compliance with EU Procurement Regulations and University financial regulations and policies. The role also involves developing and supporting the University’s Procurement Strategy, to ensure best value for money and legal compliance.
The main objectives of this role are:
- Play a lead role in the procurement and contract management of Professional Services contracts
- Understand, interpret and communicate the University’s strategy for all third party spend
- Develop and manage Category Sourcing Plans in conjunction with Stakeholders, manage and lead the implementation activities.
- Ensure value for money and legal compliance while meeting the needs of Stakeholders and Procurement, in an effective manner.
- Add value to Stakeholders and Procurement through delivery of sustainable savings and process improvement
- You must be educated to degree level and MCIPS qualified (or working towards this), with proven experience of public sector procurement and experience of conducting tenders to OJEU requirements. (essential)
- You will also have experience and knowledge of Professional Services procurement and contracts and have the ability to build relationships within the supply chain and internal clients. (essential)
- You will have demonstrable experience of negotiation, tendering processes and providing “value for money” savings, and of managing suppliers to SLA’s to resolve problems and improve supplier performance. (essential)
- Has a commercial outlook and strong proven experience of negotiation with suppliers to drive value for money in contracts. (essential)
- Strong communication skills with the ability to persuade, influence and negotiate. (essential)
- Strong report writing and presentation skills. (essential)
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office (essential) and knowledge of Oracle ERP systems (desirable)
With around 24,000 students from 80 countries, Birmingham City University is a large and diverse place to study. We put students at the heart of everything we do, giving them the best opportunities for future success. The University has an enviable reputation for providing quality, student-focused education in a professional and friendly environment. Our superb courses, state-of-the-art facilities, first-rate staff, and focus on practical skills and professional relevance is producing some of the country’s most employable graduates.
We put £270 million into the regional economy and support thousands of jobs in the area. We're investing £260 million in our estate, including a major expansion of our city centre campus at Eastside, providing students with an enviable range of facilities. The Complete University Guide ranked us as a top 30 UK university for spending on facilities in 2015.
Our staff and student community is defined by our core values, which outline who we are as a University and how we will work with each other. Our core values are Excellence, People focused, Partnership working and Fairness and integrity.
Please note that this role is not capable of sponsorship under Tier 2 of the points based system.
Please note on occasions where we receive a large number of applications, we may close the advert ahead of the publicised closing date. If this does happen, we will contact all candidates via email who have started but not yet completed their application, giving 48 hours’ notice. We would therefore advise that you submit your completed application as soon as possible.
Birmingham City University holds an Athena Swan Bronze Award and promotes the advancement of gender equality through Representation, Progression and Success for All. We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all sections of the community.